Friday 21 September 2012

Technology is NOT So Important in Education

Salam.

"Wow" was my  reaction when I was reading all those amazing post from my colleagues. Today, I'm not going to share any link or video. I just want to share my thought about using technology in education.

I know that we are going running towards modern era which technology is one of the most important things in our lives whereby we cannot live without it. 

Let me give you the closest example: HAND PHONES. It is true that hand phones are not part of human basic needs. According to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, a human being has FIVE basic needs (as you can see below) and hand phones are obviously not in the hierarchy.  

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Now, let me ask you a question: Do you think you can survive without hand phone? Probably (if you are in kindergarten )
Therefore, it's proven here that technology is one of the most important things in our lives.

In the field of education, I would like to say that technology is not so important in education. Wait a minute, hold your argument first. Let me clarify my statement.

Why do I say that? Because I believe a good  teacher can  really make a difference. 



Well, I say this based on my own experience. During my school days in high school, I remember Malaysia has started to implement the usage of PowerPoint and projector in class. Do you guys remember there is a CD attached to our textbooks to be used during class? 


Well, I don't want to criticize anybody but as I said before,  a good  teacher can  really make a difference. Well, my teacher used it. Without any explanation whatsoever. Can you imagine, we were all learning about genes and chromosomes, mitosis and meiosis , from the beginning  until the end of the class without any explanation from our teacher. Of course, there were videos showing how the DNA replicates and blah blah blah but how are we supposed to understand the process just by watching the videos, right? I don't know about my friends but I definitely cannot figure out which one is  the chromosome and what all the moving things are. 

Just to prove to you why technology is not so important is my other teacher for English subject. She were, how I do say this, traditionalist? As she used chalk and talk method. (or shall I say marker and whiteboard :P?) 

I remember we were all having difficulty reading the novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and what she did in class was story telling. The class was fun and alive and I really enjoyed it. And this is without the presence of any technology.

What I'm trying to say here is, we as future teachers shouldn't depend fully on technology to make the lesson work but we are the ones who should work on the lesson to make it interesting - with or without a technology.

With that, I rest my case.

Ps, do leave comments for those who are not on my side or just want to stick their noses here :)



Sources: 






10 comments:

  1. I cannot agree more.Like we learn in tools of thinking,we should really have a backup plan.If the projector is not working,what should we do?Have some handouts prepared then.But I guess a combination of a good teacher and the implementation of technology in education to makes lesson interesting is what we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.peerreviewedbymyneurons.com/2012/06/01/technology-that-can-be-used-for-education-is-not-the-same-as-educational-technology/

      Delete
    2. Definitely. Technology helps us in everyday life but we should not make it control us. Before this we can survive without it, therefore, if anything happens; we can figure out what to do without any help of technology

      ps, your link is very informational, thank you:)

      Delete
  2. indeed, technology acts as a tool to make the learning becomes more effective, but it depends on the way teachers make use of the technology.

    but i do believe that technology really helps. i'd rather borrow the biology, physics & chemistry's CDs from my school and I can see each reactions happen in every experiments (which we've never have enough time to do it in class). nice thoughts btw ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I agree with you because I myself depends a lot on technology. The main intention of my post here is for us to be a good teacher without abusing the technology. Do you get me? :)

      Delete
  3. i think teaching using technology can really helps because our future students are generation Y.. if we teach them using the traditional method, they might get bored.. but yeah, explanation from teacher is very very important..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you syira for your thought. All I'm saying is, we must master our subject and we must not abuse the technology by letting it do all the teaching(just like what happened to me), do you know what I'm saying? :)

      Delete
  4. Should we blame the education system or should we blame the technology? Should we blame the too-dependent teachers or should we blame teachers who are not being creative? Well, but at the end of the day, it's all about finding the right solution to every single problem. On a very Adele-scaled comment, I'd say technology has a lot to offer. Imagine a country with only 1 person who knows how to operate a computer, must be hard isn't it? We must face a lot of brain drain issues in Malaysia then. Not having enough computer programmers, etc. Just because people have so little exposure in technology. If I were meant to end up as an educator, I'd axiomatically use technology in class. But yeah, I will ensure them to have a great learning experience with me. Heeehe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you better be a teacher that master both your subject matter and technology. Your students will going to love you Farid :D

      Delete