Thursday 4 October 2012

Let's Churn These Up

This latest update of mine concerns the usage of technology in teaching. Too much of a good thing can be bad? Not on my watch... err well for now that is. I think we need to keep checking the techniques we used in teaching to balance out traditional and contemporary styles of teaching. The site I will soon link to you guys give a few small points on why technology used in teaching can enhance it. Let's wage war, Sakinah, wait no, you're a prodigy. I meant no harm!

The blog summed up these points:

  • Providing extended access to materials
  • Providing multiple material types for all learning styles
  • Enhancing communication between faculty/student and student/student
  • Promoting constructivist and active learning
  • Enhancing collaborative teaching and learning
  • Providing asynchronous and synchronous communication
  • Promoting higher expectations via peer review and feedback
  • Providing prompt progress information
  • Enabling stronger group collaboration
  • Promoting and fostering life long learning
Providing extended access to materials can be a good solution to teacher-student communication problem by having assignments, homeworks, to-do-list posted online. The teacher can always refer the students to the site which he or she has uploaded all the lists of things to do.

Let's be frank, with technology, teachers can cater to all their students' learning styles as long as they analysed them correctly which may take some time and this is when traditional teaching method came in handy. We can go slowly by examining what kind of students are they. Just don't do frisk examination. That's weird.

For the third point, it's quite self-explanatory isn't it? With technology, teachers can easily communicate from a distance with a student or with another teacher. This will help their teaching progress to... progress.

I'm trying to explain or support the points with my own words here but I'm not quite sure about the fourth point but from what I can gather roughly here (without reading the blog lol) is that technology helps teachers to be a constructor of sort. Like they need to construct something from a scratch or search a useful website and design it from there and all. For active learning, I think it is meant towards the students where they can be active in their learning through the use of technology. That's redundant but what I'm trying to say here is that they will be more supportive of the teacher's lesson of the day with Mr. Techno.

Phew, I think I'll stop at the fourth point. You guys can continue reading the article, blog or whatever to know better and to read in a very professionally written way. Sorry, I'm not going to make a wall of post here ;(

8 comments:

  1. I feel your ;( there. I also anticipate to see the link to be up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both ways would do.I like the traditional way madam used that day giving us handouts to read. When it comes to reading, I prefer not reading virtually..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah,,agree with Nadyra 100%.I rather spent my RM to print the handout rather than reading it from the computer.Anyway,whatever it is, to use technology,we must have the facilities and resources first. For example,like Dr. Noraini said,the government give out hundreds of computers to a remote school in Sarawak which has no electricity supply.How would you incorporate technology in teaching though you have the computers as they will not work without the electricity.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with Mufidah.. We need to have the facilities and resources first to use technology.. Either way, there is no point to use technology in class if the teacher does not know how to use it.. That is why we are taking minor in IT, right? LOL

      Delete
    3. Lol? Great comments people :)

      Delete
  3. I love your post but I didn't read the whole entry. (Not your fault, I'm just not in the mood of reading lengthy things right now.)

    My opinion is we must be smart to decide which method to be used that is suitable with the students' needs, environment and bla bla bla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know TA-DAH was the link to your article LOL. I thought it was a kind of tadah air -_- kikiki

    ReplyDelete